Sunday, May 11, 2008

Broad Beans - the Food of the Devil .....

All my life, ever since I can remember, I have Loathed, Detested and Despised BROAD BEANS ....

I think they were invented by Satan to torment normal folk .

In fact I would go further and say that I think anyone who eats Broad Beans needs lobotomising (so that would be my entire family including my son ...........)

I cannot bear the smell of them, the feel of them, and to cook them - well I'd rather have my nostril hair plucked out a strand at a time.


I have a friend who feels the same about custard .... she has to leave the table if anyone is eating the yellow peril ..... It makes her physically gag !


Do you have a food that makes your toes curl? Which is it?


Bed and Breakfast La Celada Iznájar Córdoba Spain
Quirky Watercolour Paintings Website
Living the Dream in Spain Blog
Casa La Celada Blog
Art Blog

Ecademy España - Ecademy Spain

5 comments:

v8villager said...

Amanda, you need to lobotomize me.

Every year I plant broad beans in my garden and wait in earnest for the little shoots to appear. Then I watch as they form leaves, slowly start to grow and suddenly bolt to a metre high. Within days of that happening the flowers appear and I watch the ants crawling in and out fertilizing the beautiful white and purple/black edged flowers. Soon after the flowers dry up and fall off leaving little pods. Every morning around 5.30am I wander down the garden and give them a squeeze in anticipation of the first baby broad beans being ready inside. I yearn for that first baby broad bean and asparagus risotto that signals in my mind summer has come.

Simple food, stunningly delicious. But it only works with the babiest sweetest of the fresh broad beans.

As for what makes my toes curl...

Standard yellow sponge cake. Can't stand the stuff.

Amanda Hamilton said...

LOL Consider yourself duly lobotomised V8V !!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

You have a very nice B&B. My mom visited Andalucia a year ago and it was her all-time favorite vacation of her life. Spain is just beautiful. You certainly are living a dream. My mom will bookmark your B&B in case she can get back to visit!
--JB

Amanda Hamilton said...

That's fabulous JB - I hope one day we'll be able to charm her to bits here - it is a dream - occasionally with nightmare contortions, but a wonderful life!!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Ecademy - loving your blog posts!

I have to say that the food I hate the most has to be baked beans - I call them the devils food!

Vanessa